<body>
underneath the stars
I'll wait for you darling.

Navigations are at the top.
bold italic underline link

Sunday, January 10, 2010
Invictus
INVICTUS
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


This is a victorian poem called Invictus and it had helped South Africa's first fully democratic elected former president, Nelson Mandela a.k.a. Madiba, during his years of incarceration.


Today was a special Sunday as I had Corporate Finance class in the morning. Upon arriving in school, I realized that I did not bring my handphone. The old me would panic like a spider but the new me did not. I simply got down Xiang Hao's and Gerald's number through my sister. Xiang Hao picked me up at school in his white SYM VS 150 scooter. It is fully automated. He kind of beat the read light as I was talking to him. Thank God there was no oncoming vehicles at the box junction! We headed to West Mall at Bukit Batok and bought tickets. We had lunch at foodcourt.


Well, we did some catching up before catching Invictus directed by Clint Eastwood and acted by Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. The show is about the foresight of Nelson Mandela. Matt Damon plays Francois, an American football (we call it rugby) captain who is leading Springboks, an all white team from England except for Chester. Contradictary is that Springboks represents South Africa's football team. The team is supported by whites and disgusted by blacks. However, in the young hearts of the black children, Springboks was a team where they idolized and looked up to. Watch the movie to find out more! =P


After the movie, Xiang Hao brought me home in his scooter. I rested at home for a while before meeting Gerald at Sushi tei for dinner. We talked quite abit and I foot the bill as he paid the previous time. I had an early night as I wasn't feeling too well. I found out that Auntie Jackie had passed away due to a liver cancer relapse and mum's flying off to Sarawak tomorrow to attend the wake.  So fragile is the human soul. The moment you give up the will to live, you are gone.. We should all learn to appreciate life and treasure our health. Rest in God, Auntie Jackie.


Thinking of you till 11:15 PM


about/
tag/
links/
credits/
past/